57 W. Neal St.
Pleasanton, CA 94566
Walter Briggs Sr. founded the Meadowlark Dairy in the early 1900s on 153 acres on Foothill Road. Meadowlark was the first certified Dairy in California, earning a Grade A designation for cleanliness and quality.
Jannes and Janna Takens immigrated to the U.S. from Holland after World War II and moved to Berkeley, where Janna's cousin sponsored them. Eventually, the Takens settled in Pleasanton and began working on the farm (Where Alviso Adobe Community Park is today). In 1958, the Takens' signed a 10-year lease for the Dairy and bought it in the 1960s after Briggs' death.
The Briggs family sold the property, so the Takens moved the cows from Pleasanton to Tracy in 1968 and built a milk processing plant at 57 W. Neal St., where the Dairy remains today. The Dairy has been a drive-through since it opened in July 1969, replacing the former drive-through Dairy on Foothill Road.
Jannes and Janna's son Bruce and his wife Patti took over the business in the 80s. Where they continued to bring joy to many families in the Tri-Valley area, They are responsible for the Ice Cream cones we all love to this day.
Today the Dairy is run by Bruce and Patti's son Jesse and his wife, Kelsey. Come on by and let one of our eager hardworking young adults help you out!